About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Fat cat deja vu


A fat bobcat came to this boulder on December 30 at 20:30. The first two pictures were blank--he was lurking about but escaping the camera's shutter. Having noticed "the thing that flashes" he crept up to sniff it--the 3rd picture shows only a brilliant white ear and whiskers at the bottom of the frame. Two and a half minutes later he was back exploring the boulder where I placed some chicken giblets four days earlier. I would guess from its size that this is a fully mature male cat.

I think I have seen this cat before. A year ago on December 4 at 4:45 in the morning a similar looking robust cat walked past a camera beside my house. I've posted last week's picture and the Dec. 2005 picture for comparison. Look carefully and you can see similar spot patterns on the bobcat's breast. (Last year's pic was shot with a 1 mp camera--thus the dull look.)

No comments: