About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

A little publicity

Science writer Douglas Fox called me last fall for a quote about urban wildlife. When he learned I was a camera trapper he asked to tag long. The result is a piece in the Christian Science Monitor about the codger and his old buddy Reno. Check it out here.

5 comments:

jtgarcia said...

Hi Chris,

My name is Jeff Garcia, I'm finishing up my undergraduate degree in biology here at UC Santa Cruz. I'd like to get in touch with you regarding some questions about camera trap equipment. I'll be conducting a study on seed dispersal this summer and I was interested in utilizing some camera trap techniques. Particularly, I'm interested in finding an affordable digital set up that I can use photograph rodents (without me having to be there). I would be very grateful for any help or direction you could give me. The best way to contact me is through e-mail, mine is jtgarcia@ucsc.edu

Thank you,
Jeff

You've got some great pictures!

Stacey Olson said...

Great story, This looks like so much fun. We are moving in about a month and I would really like to do this with my husbands trail cam..What a great summer project for the kids. Thanks for the idea! you have a very informative site..

Beverly said...

Yeah but...you've not talked about how the class went! Did ya get cool pics? Can you show any of 'em? Were the kids absolutely blown away? Did ya see any pigs? What about Wolverines? Huh, huh, huh?

Camera Trap Codger said...

Jeff, I'll send you an email.
Stacey, the kids will enjoy the camera trapping. I am sure. They'll be thrilled just getting pictures of squirrels or chipmunks.
Beverly, Hold your horses. The course is in July. I'll definitely post some stories on it.

Owlman said...

Congratulations on the nice article. I'm looking forward to seeing you on the Today show and Jay Leno's Tonight show. Get that book published because we're all running out of time.