About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Coast live oak with raccoon




The old coast live oak in Marin County had possibilities. It was picturesque and had low lying limbs.



I hid the camera in a toyon, and aimed it along a low limb that even a three-legged critter could climb. A few dabs of castoreum a drop of civetone. Then some toyon leaves on the camera, and it was ready.



I got only 5 pictures over 43 days, and all were of raccoons. The first appearance was 2 weeks after I made the set.



Nineteen days later (March 9) there were two visits. A pair showed up earlier in the evening, and a few hours later a singleton climbed the limb to check the scent.



I had expected a ringtail (Bassariscus astutus) . A few years ago, one had been sighted not far from here.

I guess I can't complain. I got a "ringtail", just the wrong species.

2 comments:

cliff said...

What a beautiful location and really liked the first raccoon photo.

cliff

Owlman said...

You're the man Chris!
As usual you have proven that you are a pro and the results speak for themselves.