About Me

My photo
Native Californian, biologist, wildlife conservation consultant, retired Smithsonian scientist, father of two daughters, grandfather of 4 small primates. INTJ. Believes nature is infinitely more interesting than shopping malls. Born 100 years too late.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Gray fox's co-napper


I had missed it completely.

The napping tarantula hanging from the wall of the sandstone grotto.

Behind the sleepy gray fox.

My fellow camera trapper and Cal Fish & Game biologist Craig Fiehler pointed it out to me. 

It seems the spider joined the fox in its high noon siesta.

It just hung there peacefully for at least a half hour.

Just wanted to pointed it out. 

6 comments:

John W. Wall said...

I never would have thought a tarantula would hang out like that. Such a photographically productive grotto.

Retrieverman said...

I bet that gray fox would try to eat a tarantula, but the tarantula is better off that it didn't pick a cave with a white-nosed coati in residence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moxNqK1qqvQ

randomtruth said...

Maybe the tarantula was trying to decide how big his appetite and cojones were... :)

Jason said...

Hi Chris,

I know this comment is a little off topic but can you help me id the species of wood rat living under my cabin in Colorado? I have a few pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/thegreengrassgrows/WoodRat#

If you would prefer to reply in email mine is thegreengrassgrows@gmail.com

Thank you,
jason

Jason said...

Sorry the link was:

http://picasaweb.google.com
/thegreengrassgrows/WoodRat#

Camera Trap Codger said...

Thanks RM -- Great footage of the coati, who had no problem with the uticaceous hairs. Must have been a tame subject for that kind of footage.

Jason, that's a fine specimen of a bushy-tailed wood rat you have there. And by the way, here are about six species of wood rats in Colorado.